Friends of Jesus Green Lido
Committee Meeting Wednesday 19th April 2023
Brief notes for publication
Attendees: Nicky Blanning, Becky Allen, Annie Morgan-James, Antony Quinn, Rosina, Sian Ryan, Chris Hudson, Nicky Spoor, Colin Campbell, Caroline Lewis, Julie Durrant (City Council), Steve Rayment (GLL), Daryl Emes (GLL)
Jo Lockhart, Richard Folley, Anne Campbell
Lots of Centenary Actions planned:
- JG Book – going well. New contacts made and interviewed. Funding possibilities being pursued.
- Music has been written for the celebrations & hopefully, a choir can be persuaded to sing at the lido.
- Film – a film has been made. Planning to show it on film night August 9th at JG.
- Flags- designs have been chosen and are with the council manufacturers. Date of hanging to be decided.
- Crocheted penguins – Work is going well. Dot of Cambridge Yarn Collective has been in touch with Daryl to discuss installation.
- Bunting – We have been in touch with ‘Sew Positive’.
- Sign Writing – Buck and Bear have been commissioned to write ‘Jesus Green Lido 1923-2023’ on wall facing pool entrance – Now done.
- Tile Mural – Information poster up at pool, this will be an ongoing project until August, when complete there will be a curtain opening.
- Cambridge 105 radio
In touch with broadcasters.
- Merchandise – Various items now available – to be ordered &/or sold at the pool.
- Captain Webb play -Saturday June 10th 7.15 for 8pm performance.
Promotional video created & to be linked to lido Twitter account & You Tube by Kane.
Should be able to accommodate 100-150 people.
- Calendar of events to be created and published
- Other matters:
- Planting at JG Volunteers have weeded and manured beds. Request for volunteers from swimmers help has gone out. Nicky thanked Becky on behalf of everyone for her hard work.
- Hanging Baskets – have been ordered and funded by Friends of JG
- Litter Pick – Request has gone out for help from Swimmers
- Facebook – A new Facebook site with group name ‘Jesus Green Swimmers’ will be created plus an Instagram account.
- Pool Maintenance – Problems with men’s urinals, women’s showers, sauna door and missing locks on cubicles.
The whole male toilet block needs replacing & GLL (Better) waiting for quotes.
The boiler needs replacing – waiting for quotes.
- Funding generally – The council is working on a major proposal for leisure facilities across the city.
- Friends of JG Charity proposal – paperwork to obtain charity status has been submitted.
- Memorial Board: Work is nearly complete & board will be hung on back wall in ‘snug.’
Next meeting (17 May) at Chesterton Rec
Aug 1st 2018
What a great summer we are having. We hope you are enjoying the Lido this year.
The Committee would like to provide a summary update of our activities and discussions on your behalf.
The Committee is holding regular meetings with GLL/ Better and the City Council about improving:
1. Cleaning – we now have a regular cleaner and more regular checks being carried out
2. Volunteers – are helping with cleaning too
3. Café opening times – more regular and published via Twitter
4. Lifeguards and the use of high visibility chairs
5. Access entry cards for the future to reduce queues
6. Publicity – leaflets printed and distributed across the city
7. Swim tests – a new wristband for children to show they have been tested
8. Fun floats for children
9. Possible introduction of timed swims at peak periods
10. Possible introduction of yoga and other activities, incl a Family Fun Day
We also expect to be involved in plans for celebrating the Lido’s centenary in 2023, and in the City Council’s feasibility study for possible future improvements.
If you have any issues that you would like the Committee to raise, please email: email@example.com
Election of new committee officers on 4th September 2017
Chairperson: Nicky Blanning
Secretary: Anne Campbell
Treasurer: Nicky Maughan (with Alex Buxton as a second signature)
Membership/Website: Geoff Jones
Press Communications/Publicity: Becky Allen and Alex Buxton
Othe committee members are:
Mary Latham*, David Wells, Richard Folley, Francis Jeans, Will Hudson, Ben Pridgeon, Anie Morgan James, James Murray-White, Caroline Lewis*, Rosie Tween*
- changes on 19 April 2018 committee meeting
We will be having a meeting for the selection of a Chairperson, Treasurer & Secretary and the formation of a new committee at The Waterman PH at 6 pm on Monday 4th September.
If you are unable to attend but wish to be considered for a post or on the committee please respond to this email.
The minutes of the meeting held on 23 August 2017 are now available on our website at https://www.jesusgreenpool.org/2017/08/30/minutes-of-the-friends-of-jesus-green-pool-meeting-on-23-august-2017
Please note: The Potting Shed is not available for this meeting but we have reserved three tables in the main bar by the Victoria Ave/Chesterton Rd corner
Welcome all Friends of Jesus Green Pool
I am keen to create a new Committee for the Friends to assist our communication with
c) the City Council
d)to determine the use of any funds that have been raised.
If you would be interested in joining a new Committee, please email back to firstname.lastname@example.org
The date proposed for an initial meeting is WEDNESDAY 23 AUGUST 2017 6.00PM AT THE BOATHOUSE PUB, Chesterton Road.
If you are interested but unable to attend on that date, please let me know.
Thank you all.