Because a birthday isn’t a birthday without cake, we’re holding a
very special cake competition – with some sensational prizes – to
celebrate Jesus Green Lido’s 100th birthday on Monday 28 August
Calling all bakers! It’s time to swap your cossie and goggles for an
apron and wooden spoon and create a lido-themed cake for the
Jesus Green Lido centenary cake competition.
The cake can be any size, shape or flavour, but it must be
decorated to reflect your love for the lido.
Open to bakers of all ages and swimming styles, the competition
will be judged by the Mayor of Cambridge, Jenny Gawthrope Wood.
Prizes include vouchers from Better worth £100 (first prize), £50
(runner-up) plus a special junior prize for under-16 bakers.
Photos of the winning cakes and their bakers will be featured on the
new Friends of Jesus Green Lido website.
You must bring your cake to Jesus Green Lido by 1.30 pm on
Monday 28 August 2023. Cakes will be judged by the Mayor at
2 pm, after which everyone can sample the cakes. Please label
your cake with your name and list all ingredients.
We have a whole day of centenary celebrations planned, from
inflatables and pool-side games to music and Jesus Green Lido’s
very own Synchro swimmers.
Jesus Green Lido centenary programme
Bank Holiday Monday 28 August 2023
7 am – 11 am Swim for Fitness (last entry 10.30 am for 30 min swim)
11 am – 12 pm – Pool closed for inflatable set up
12 pm – 4 pm Family Fun Session with large inflatable* (last entry
3.00 pm for 60 min swim) and poolside games (including Giant
Jenga, badminton and more)
12pm BBQ + Friends of Jesus Green Lido bring and share lunch
2.00pm Mayor’s birthday greetings and cake judging plus synchro
4 pm – 5 pm – Pool closed to take down the inflatable
5 pm-7 pm Swim for Fitness (last entry time 6.30 pm for 30 mins
* The inflatable is for children aged 8 years and above. Children will
need to be – or have been – swim tested to ensure they can swim
Please sign up for our new mailing list at https://jesusgreenlido.org/contact/
Friends of Jesus Green Lido
Committee Meeting Wednesday 19th April 2023
Brief notes for publication
Attendees: Nicky Blanning, Becky Allen, Annie Morgan-James, Antony Quinn, Rosina, Sian Ryan, Chris Hudson, Nicky Spoor, Colin Campbell, Caroline Lewis, Julie Durrant (City Council), Steve Rayment (GLL), Daryl Emes (GLL)
Jo Lockhart, Richard Folley, Anne Campbell
Lots of Centenary Actions planned:
- JG Book – going well. New contacts made and interviewed. Funding possibilities being pursued.
- Music has been written for the celebrations & hopefully, a choir can be persuaded to sing at the lido.
- Film – a film has been made. Planning to show it on film night August 9th at JG.
- Flags- designs have been chosen and are with the council manufacturers. Date of hanging to be decided.
- Crocheted penguins – Work is going well. Dot of Cambridge Yarn Collective has been in touch with Daryl to discuss installation.
- Bunting – We have been in touch with ‘Sew Positive’.
- Sign Writing – Buck and Bear have been commissioned to write ‘Jesus Green Lido 1923-2023’ on wall facing pool entrance – Now done.
- Tile Mural – Information poster up at pool, this will be an ongoing project until August, when complete there will be a curtain opening.
- Cambridge 105 radio
In touch with broadcasters.
- Merchandise – Various items now available – to be ordered &/or sold at the pool.
- Captain Webb play -Saturday June 10th 7.15 for 8pm performance.
Promotional video created & to be linked to lido Twitter account & You Tube by Kane.
Should be able to accommodate 100-150 people.
- Calendar of events to be created and published
- Other matters:
- Planting at JG Volunteers have weeded and manured beds. Request for volunteers from swimmers help has gone out. Nicky thanked Becky on behalf of everyone for her hard work.
- Hanging Baskets – have been ordered and funded by Friends of JG
- Litter Pick – Request has gone out for help from Swimmers
- Facebook – A new Facebook site with group name ‘Jesus Green Swimmers’ will be created plus an Instagram account.
- Pool Maintenance – Problems with men’s urinals, women’s showers, sauna door and missing locks on cubicles.
The whole male toilet block needs replacing & GLL (Better) waiting for quotes.
The boiler needs replacing – waiting for quotes.
- Funding generally – The council is working on a major proposal for leisure facilities across the city.
- Friends of JG Charity proposal – paperwork to obtain charity status has been submitted.
- Memorial Board: Work is nearly complete & board will be hung on back wall in ‘snug.’
Next meeting (17 May) at Chesterton Rec
We are sad to report that Michael Heffer, who swam at Jesus Green Lido for many years, died last week. His funeral will be held at 1230pm on Tuesday 16 May in the East Chapel of Cambridge Crematorium. Our thoughts are with his daughter, Lucy.
Note that from Sunday, May 7th the Lido will be open from 7 am to 7 pm 7 days a week.
Have you got green fingers?
Can you spare a little time now and then to help make Jesus Green Lido bloom?
We would love some volunteers to join our garden club.
To sign up or for more info, speak to the lifeguards or email kane.Smith@gll.org
To help celebrate Jesus Green Lido’s centenary this year, we are producing a book about the Lido and its wonderful community of swimmers.
Have you got thoughts and memories you’d like to share with us? Did you learn to swim there while you were at school? Did you use the pool with your parents, grandparents, children or grandchildren? Has the lido been important in your friendship groups? And what memories do you have of its part in your Cambridge summers?
We’re looking for a variety of contributions; you can send us 100-word soundbites, and longer pieces or we can arrange to interview you, so please drop us an email.
A short history of the pool is here https://www.jesusgreenpool.org/history-of-the-pool/
Pool construction 1923
Annie & Becky
Happy Easter to all our swimmers.
Daffs are still flowering at Jesus Green Lido. Even more, reason to pop along for a swim over the Easter weekend.
Photo: ©Becky Allen
Cherries are flowering, water is above 10C and the lido is open every day. Feels like spring at last.
7 – 11
7 – 11
7 – 11
7 – 11
7 – 11
7 – 12
7 – 12
4 – 7
4 – 7
4 – 7
The current pool temperature can be found on this page
The trip to Hathersage Pool on Saturday 1st April is soon upon us! The pool releases bookings the week before, so you can book for Saturday 1st from this Friday morning at 7 am on their website: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/hathersage-outdoor-pool
The pool has moved to their summer timetable, so instead of swimming at 2 pm as previously suggested, the lane swimming slot is at 1 pm, so we will meet in the cafe just beforehand. Recent reports say that their pool’s boiler is fixed and the water is a toasty 28 degrees!
On Sunday we are planning to swim at the New Bath Hotel in Matlock Bath at 10am. The pool is geothermally heated to around 15 or 17 degrees. They have lane swimming all day and you can book here:
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Does anyone have experience in publishing or printing?
We’re making great progress with our book celebrating 100 years of Jesus Green Lido.
We need to find the best way to get it published/printed.
If anyone works in the field or has contacts who do, we’d love to hear from you.
Becky & Annie
Great News! The pool will be open every day of the week from 7 am commencing March 27th 2023
The new opening hours for the pool from March 27th will be:
Monday: 0700-1100 & 1600-1900
Wednesday: 0700-1100 & 1600-1900
Friday: 0700-1100 & 1600-1900
A total of 39 hours per week to swim in the glorious outdoors.